Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Wolf Didn't Do It

The days are going by faster, and the weeks are kind of blurring together now.  It's been 9 months and 10 days since arriving here on Pohnpei.  At times it's felt like an eternity, and at other times it's felt like nothing.  I've become accustomed to the slow pace of life here.  For example with text messaging.  In the States you usually receive a text back in less than 2 minutes.  I found myself getting anxious about a text today because that hadn't come in 2 hours.  I then said to myself, "What are you Nick?  An American?"  Island time at its best. 

School-wise it's about the same ol' same here.  For the start of the 4th quarter here, my co-teacher and I decided to have our 5th and 6th graders perform a play for their parents.  Set construction, costume designing, and the whole 2 meters (9 yards for you diehard metric haters) are going to be my next week of life.  My original idea was to have them perform a simpler version of Romeo and Juliet, but I couldn't find a 5th grade English play that didn't cost money online.  I did however find an awesome version of the 3 Little Pigs in which the wolf (he's not the Big Bad Wolf) explains that he needed some sugar from his neighbors, had a cold which caused him to sneeze the houses down, and couldn't resist the temptation of 2 dead little pigs just lying on the ground.  I made one of our students the Student Director, and my idea here is to have a play for the students done completely by the students (It hasn't worked out that way all the time).  We've been practicing the play for a week now, and we're going to perform it next Friday at our school naas (outside house).  It's either going to be my crowning moment in Peace Corps or a crash and burn disaster.  Either way, I got some English acting words into the kids brains, right?

I'll try to post a video of the play next time I come into town, and until then I hope you all are well back in the Good ol' U.S.A.

Un Saludo.

No comments:

Post a Comment